Wednesday, January 30, 2013

J. Crew Inspired Crystal Collar Herringbone Sweater DIY

I've long admired the J. Crew Crystal Collar Herringbone sweater, but only just now had some time to try making an inspiration piece.


I actually went about this making 2 pieces - the top and a corresponding necklace.  I didn't have the patience to hand-sew all of the crystals onto the collar and then worry about how it'd do in the washing machine, so took the easy way out.

I made the top using a heavy weight cream-colored knit and a silk-blend herringbone fabric.  I modified Butterick's B5520 pattern to become a tee-like top (with slimmed sleeves and chest), rather than a dress bodice.  If you are sleeves-phobic, this is a VERY good pattern because all of the seaming is straight and you don't have to fiddle with easing a sleeve into an armscye (something I am TERRIBLE at).  The peter pan collar was hand drafted.

The necklace is made from crystals woven into a collar pattern (trial & error) using Beadalon as the stringing material.

I've also been using my serger for narrow hemming some scarves, so be on the lookout for a scarf giveaway soon!

25 comments:

  1. What a fabulous DIY! I've always admired that J.Crew sweater, but the price was too steep and I heard it wasn't the best fit. I just LOVE your version. . . so creative!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would seriously buy this...if you have any time to sew a second one, please email me...lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow i love the top and the collar is so pretty

    Katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea to make the beads as a removable necklace. You always comes with clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart idea you made two pieces! I'm too afraid to buy any piece with the beads since I'm too lazy to hand wash then do not know how to wash it without losing some beads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a genius!! I love that. Is the herringbone a knit also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind - thank you! The herringbone is actually a silk suiting material without any stretch. I actually made the back out of the cream knit too so that it would be a more form-fitted piece.

      Delete
  7. I love that the jeweled piece is separate b/c you're right, dealing with that during a wash is hard! Can't wait to see this scarf giveaway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your creativity and sewing skills never ceases to amaze me!! :D Your version looks so sporty and versatile!! Love it!! xoxo, Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally gonna have to try this! The necklace, because I'm hopeless with a sewing machine. xD I think your DIY is better than the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* Thank you! Let me know how the necklace goes!

      Delete
  10. i so wanted this sweater. i coudln't find it anywhere though by the time i discovered it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you made it look better than the crew version which i found way too boxy. like caroline, i'd totally buy this from you.

    now do you see why i named you DIY royalty? :)

    xox P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Great job!! Love herringbone patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! What a flattering fit. I agree with P; you are DIY royalty! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always come up with such multi purpose ideas! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're so creative. How do you have the time for all these projects?
    you should each me to sew =]

    http://shortandsweetjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're sweet! Each item is usually the product of many days' worth of naps and random docile children moments LOL

      Delete
  16. love what you did! i wish i could DIY stuff!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, this is one of my favorites! i'm amazed that these DIYs are still coming so often!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is awesome!! you must sell on Etsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, well done! Already the wheels are turning in my head. Thanks for posting such great material {HaHa - no pun intended}.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing! Where is the fabric you used from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! The knit is from Hancock and the herringbone is from Fabric.com

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...